Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Another perfect day in Paradise

It's Wednesday. Two exciting things happen on Wednesdays - no, I lie: three.

1) I wash my hair.

2) I bring in the wheelie bin as well as the mail

3) I go down to the bakery, collect my pay from last Saturday, and put it in the bank.

This is what my life consists of, at this point in time.

If I didn't have a very painful right heel (probably a heel spur), I would go for a walk, but I can't manage that. I tried the mountain bike, but couldn't balance on it (whatever happened to nice, normal ladies' bikes??) I am waiting for the unemployment money to kick in, which will give me free health care, so I can go to the doc. and get the heel seen to.

I have, however, started on my brother Robert's (this is brother Robert, pronounced in the French way, as opposed to BIL Robert, not pronounced in the French way. It's the only way we can avoid confusion) pullover for his 60th birthday, which is on 30 December. Not the right time of the year for knitwear round here, but he'll love it. He wanted a garment with a story: the pattern was bought from Sue McCain (I wonder if she's related?) at Vermont Fiber Designs in the US, and it's called the Shawl Collar Pullover. The yarn was a misdyed lot from Australian Country Spinners, the big Patons/Cleckheaton woollen mill in Wangaratta, Victoria. It's a deep charcoal DK wool, spun with a camel coloured silk. Beautifully soft, and will look fabulous.

Spring update - the two big prunus trees are in blossom and looking gorgeous: so are the Manchurian Pears. By this time next week we should have a crop of pink tulips next to the steps by the pool. The other great sight this year is the cymbidium orchids - our friend Ron (who breeds native orchids) gave me a few bits of various types about 4 years ago, and this is the first year they've all come out. So we have lots of dark red orchids in pots all around the place.

OK that's it for today!


No comments: